What means UF Water Purifier
UF stands for Ultra-Filter. UF is a membrane similar to RO membranes but with bigger pores. UF cannot remove dissolved salts from water. The big advantage of UF water purifier is that it will work without electricity and completely remove all microorganisms from water including the smallest of viruses.
So a UF water purifier is the ideal water purifier for tap water in big cities, where you can be sure that you will always get good tap water without chemical contamination. This is because a UF water purifier is capable of removing from water even the smallest of germs, the viruses, but UF cannot take out dissolved solids from water.
Best UF water purifier in India
One good model of a UF water purifier is the KENT Maxx 7-Litres Wall Mountable/Table Top UV + UF Water Purifier with detachable storage tank available online at a price of about Rs.7000- at the time of publishing this page.
Advantages of UF Water Purifier
- Works without electricity: Requires just normal pipe water pressure.
- Actually removes the germs from water: Even if the UV water purifier kills the germs in the water, their bodies remain in the water, whereas in UF water purifier all germs and viruses are physically removed from the water and flushed out to the drain when the UF water purifier is flush cleaned online.
- Can purify even cloudy turbid muddy water: UF can handle turbid or muddy water and can purify all the dirt and germs by physically removing it from the water. UV cannot purify turbid muddy water because the germs in the water will be shielded from the UV rays by the turbid dirty water particles.
- Better than boiled water:In boiled water the dirt, boiled germs and their eggs remain in the water, while Permionics UF Membranes filter out all dirt, germs and their eggs.
- No need of annual maintenance contract:A unique manual flushing system drains out all blocked germs and dirt which keeps UF Water purifiers in top condition for many years.
- Long lasting:With proper care UF water purifiers can work upto 10 years before major service by manufacturer is required.
- Fail Safe: will never give impure water, UF membranes are very tough and will not break and pass impure water. The worst that can happen is that the UF water purifier flow get reduced or blocked, but this can be cleaned to restore flow. Ultraviolet UV water purifiers cannot claim this, because with time, the UV light gets dimmer and even blocked with scale on the UV lamp, and thus becomes ineffective. There is no warning from the UV water filter purifier when this happens and you are getting unsafe water.
- Filters out even eggs of Germs : Removes from water the highly Chlorine resistant eggs (cysts) of Amoebic dysentery and Gastroenteritis germs - Giardiasis and Cryptosporidiosis. Some water purifiers use very strong, harmful to human consumption chlorine chemicals, to kill the germs, but their eggs (cysts) are not destroyed. The eggs (cysts) have very hard protective shells which cannot be penetrated by chlorine chemicals. Also the dead germs and their active eggs are not filtered out of the water in these purifiers.
- As good as RO purifier: Ultrafiltration membrane water purifiers are as good as Reverse Osmosis water purifiers when used with public or Municipal supplied pipe or tap water. Piped tap water will not have problems with dissolved salts of toxic chemicals like Arsenic or Heavy Metals. RO is only required when the water has too much dissolved salts.
- Works without Electricity: UF water purifiers work even during power cuts and power outages.
Disadvantage of UF Water Filter
The disadvantage of the UF water purifier is that it will not remove dissolved solids in water. Thus it is a only good for use with public supply water or well, pond, river and rain harvested waters, when you are absolutely sure that the dissolved solids (TDS) is within the limits and that it contains no toxic dissolved impurity contaminants like Arsenic, heavy metals, Nitrates, etc. If you are not sure about the dissolved solids in the water, then it is best to opt for an RO water purifier.
'LifeStraw' Miracle Straw UF Water Purifier
A Time Magazine “Invention of the Year” winner, LifeStraw is a water purifier which works exactly like a straw you use when drinking Pepsi. In the picture on the right you see children drinking dirty river water using LifeStraw. This point of use water purifier straw has hollow fibre membranes with 0.2 micron pore size which makes it an ultrafiltration or UF purifier, with larger than the usual UF water purifier pores. LifeStraw removes a minimum of 99.9% of all waterborne parasites and germs, including cysts of protozoan giardia and cryptosporidium. Being only of 0.2 micron pore size some small viruses may get through. This will not be the case with a point of use regular UF water purifier meant for the kitchen, where the pores are of .01 micron size and will not allow even the smallest of virus to get through to the purified water.
Life straw can purify upto a 1000 liters of water which is enough to last one person for a year. LifeStraw was designed by Vestergaard Frandsen of Switzerland. LifeStraw is available for retail sale in some parts of the world, but the majority of it is distributed free of charge at times of disasters all around the world by organisations like the Red Cross. Some of the awards won by Life Straw are the 2008 Saatchi & Saatchi Award for World Changing Ideas, the ‘INDEX: 2005’ International Design Award and "Best Invention of 2005" by Time Magazine.
Best way to buy Water Purifiers in India
The best way to buy Water Purifiers in India is to first look at all models of Water Purifiers available online at the leading online Retailers in India. For example on the online webpage of All Water Purifiers available in India on Amazon.in, you will find the full range of Indian Water Purifiers complete with their best discounted price and full specifications. This is great information, and you can decide on which model of water purifier to buy. With the model of water purifier you want to buy finalised, you can go to local shops to try and find the model of water purifier you have chosen and see if you can get at similar price of that at Amazon.in. In most cases the price from Amazon will be cheaper, because they buy in bulk from the manufacturers direct and they sell huge volumes because they are the world's largest and most trusted online retailer. If you buy from Amazon, they will arrange to have the water purifier installed in your house, usually free of charge.
Warranty and other facilities offered through Amazon are usually better than what you can get from local agents of water purifiers.
All pages in our website www.AchaWater.com
Below are links to all the pages on this website and we hope you will make full use of all the great information about Indian Water Purifiers provided here.